If you are concerned about a child because you have observed early signs of vulnerability and/or family stress, refer to your organisations’ policy and follow all relevant steps.
Internal consultation helps to gather more information to inform appropriate referral pathways for vulnerable children and their families. Remember to:
Record and report
- Record your observations and report to your direct supervisor or line manager
Gather as much information as you can
- Consult with other professionals or services involved in your client’s care
- Consult with parent or carer if/when safe to do so
- Access additional internal expertise and support if available, e.g. social work or child and family services
- If you don’t have internal expertise, contact Child FIRST for advice
- Actions need to be documented and timelines and responsibilities allocated.
Debriefing, supervision and reflective practice is important when supporting families through difficult times and trauma.